So picture the scene: we made it to Sydney in old Alvin, enduring soaring temperatures, travelling through ghost towns, powered across the obscenely remote Nullabor, and we’re finally here… now what?
We were lucky enough to have a hotel for Christmas but that did in fact make moving the three of us back into the van for the next five days leading up to NYE seem slightly traumatic. And as anyone who has visited Syndey around this time will know, we were not the only backpackers in pursuit of the perfect (free) parking spot.
However, during our daily entrapment by Sydney’s one-way system and seeming refusal to allow any right turns, we spotted an entire street filled with campervans…
1. Reports on the news of shark sightings, cue Jaws soundtrack every single time.
2. The heat. “What’s wrong with the road?!” “It’s melting.”
3. Everyone’s obsession with vegemite
4. The size of the country: “What? You’re in Australia? We’ll have to meet up!” Hmm, so you’re a 68 hour drive away…
5. ‘Mate’ ‘heaps’ ‘sweet eh!’ ‘no dramas’ – still a mega novelty every time we hear them
After arriving in Perth, Australia, we were pretty excited to jump on the BBQ bandwagon! It’s not all hype, out here, BBQs are the real deal and the most popular and enjoyable pastime to while away the balmy nights. We strongly recommend catching your own yabbies (as we did) and cooking them the very same day, or else give kangaroo a whirl, medium rare (yup, we did that too).