1. The ground floor is called the 1st, and the 1st floor is called the 2nd
2. When speaking any Thai words, tone of voice is everything – it can change a word from meaning dog to horse!
3. Most restaurants add VAT and service charge onto all list prices
4. The bread is sweet, and the toothpaste is salty
5. The women look ten years younger than they really are, or ten years older
6. Motorcycle-taxis are the only way to travel on the roads at 5pm, the city traffic completely grinds to a halt
7. Thais do not respond well to raised voices, patience and manners will get you much further
8. When it rains, it really, really, really rains. The world is not ending.
9. The year is currently 2556
10. 6pm is National Anthem o’clock, played particularly at all train stations and in some parks; stand up and shut up when you hear it, whatever you’re doing!
Charlotte & Sarah x