1. Stray cats and dogs (except for when they’re chasing you down the street, snapping at your heels)
2. Cold showers
3. Being sweaty and dirty
4. Being ill: the heat, the food, the alcohol – just head to the pharmacy
5. Squat toilets (not for Charlotte)
6. Unidentified meat (is it pink? No? Then eat it.)
7. Being itchy (sunburn, bites, sweat, salt, bed bugs and allergic reactions)
8. Turning up to your prepaid hostel to discover that it’s disgusting (there’s always the beach)
9. Asking for a mild curry but it still blowing your head off
10. Getting ripped off (we know your game, give it a rest)
Unbelievably still loving every minute,
Charlotte and Sarah x
I love reading other people’s thoughts on Thailand. It feels like home 🙂 And I especially love this post. I haven’t experienced travel as a legit “backpacker” yet, but I see it in my future at some point.
We’ve tried our best to rough-it, think our night on the quiet coast of Phi Phi was one of the toughest, but we aren’t especially brave!: http://twoonewayflights.com/2013/02/05/the-pros-cons-of-a-1-beach-hut/
Your posts are completely addictive, I read 5 in a row without even realising, looking forward to more 🙂
Charlotte & Sarah x
You have found the very essence of Thai life: “Mai pen rai” – no worries! Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Thailand? Agreed! Haha
#3 especially… I’ve given up trying to stay clean and dry!! This heat is just too much. Luckily, Songkran is right around the corner! (ps thanks for the follow, I want to follow along with your adventures too!)
Love this! I laugh at myself whenever I choose the squat toilet over the western one now – they’re often cleaner and you don’t have to touch anything! Thanks for following me. Looking forward to joining you on your journey as well.
Haha the squat toilets are growing on us too! We’ve also become accustomed to the small ‘cleansing’ shower in the toilets, we’re considering getting them fitted in our bathrooms back in England…
After backpacking a decent amount, there are things that I’ve come to associate with being on vacay – such as getting sweaty/dirty – it almost becomes fun 😉
(Although I do appreciate a good shower!!!)
Being dirty and sweaty is just normal to us now, we’ve forgotten what a long hot shower feels like!
I’ve been planning on doing one of these for a while now. So good, I bet we’ll have quite a few of the same!
Thanks, yes I think every backpacker feels the same way on the Thai islands!
Haha like this post! I go backpacking in Thailand this summer, looking forward to it!
That’s great, you’ll absolutely love it! Great blog on travelling Europe 🙂
Reblogged this on Get Inspired and commented:
Exactly my thoughts